Board of Certification/Accreditation (BOC) certification demonstrates your hard work in gaining experience, technical knowledge, and skill. You are expected to uphold these standards by committing to professional growth through Continuing Education (CE) courses. BOC works with course providers to review CE course content and approve the appropriate number of CE credits awarded.
BOC-Approved CE courses support and streamline your ongoing professional development in your field of certification. BOC CE requirements follow a five-year cycle, giving you a long, flexible time frame.
To maintain your certification, you need to complete a specific number of CE credit hours and verify your accomplishment to BOC. Each certification program has specific CE requirements. Manage your CE credit hours in your MyBOC account.
Earning CE Units (CEUs)
BOC certificants are required to earn the number of CEUs assigned to each certification category, and to maintain proper documentation of CEUs earned. Documentation is due to BOC by December 31 of each five-year CE cycle. To submit CEUs, log in to your MyBOC account, click on “Manage CEUs” and press “Click here to add new CEUs.” Enter the course date, title, provider, category, and number of credits awarded, then click “Save.” You can also submit CEUs by completing the CE Submission Form and sending it to BOC with the required documentation. You can always check the number of CEUs you need by accessing your MyBOC account.
BOC conducts random audits of CEU documentation, so you should retain records that verify completion of CEUs submitted online through the end of each five-year cycle.
Earn credits in two broad categories: Scientific and Business.
Scientific credit hours are related to the scientific, professional, and/or technical aspects of your field. A minimum of 80% of your total CEUs are required to be Scientific credit hours.
Business credit hours are related to business management in your field. A maximum of 20% of your total CEUs can be Business credit hours.
CEU Requirements by Certification and Category
The chart below provides total CEU requirements by certification and per category. For more information on requirements for maintaining your certification status, consult the BOC Recertification Policy Guidelines.
|Certification||Minimum Total||Minimum Scientific||Maximum Business||Carry-over Allowance*|
*Certificants who earn more CEUs than they need may carry over a limited number of CEUs into the next cycle.
CEU Requirements Are Based on the Date of Certification
If you are certified at any point during the five-year cycle, your CE requirements vary from the above table. Please refer to the following requirements for practitioners certified during the current cycle:
For more information on requirements for maintaining your certification status, consult the BOC Recertification Policy Guidelines.
Eligible CE Activities
You may earn CE credit hours through participation in a wide variety of educational and training activities relevant to your field of practice. Examples of these activities include:
- Structured educational or training courses
- Manufacturer-sponsored programs (in-services) – Related to new products and/or techniques.
- Independent study of professional or academic journals – BOC will recognize 1 CEU per article. Complete a one-page, single-spaced summary of the article.
- Participation or attendance at relevant trade shows – Receive .25 CEU for visiting one exhibitor and up to five CEUs (or 20 exhibitors) may be awarded per year. Maintain a completed Exhibit Hall Attendance Form as proof of attendance.
- Teaching and writing educational seminars – BOC will recognize 3 CEUs per hour of teaching or writing a course, once a year. Maintain a record of a detailed course outline, along with references used to develop the course. Course authors must provide a letter of attestation from the course provider.
- Article publication – BOC will award CEUs to the author, 1 CEU per page.
- College courses – BOC will recognize any relevant college courses for CEUs. Credits will be awarded based on the grade achieved (A=5, B=4, C=3, and D=2) multiplied by the number of college credits you receive for completion of the course. For any course, the minimum number of credits awarded will be 5 CEUs.
The directory of BOC-Approved CE Courses provides a clear, reliable way for you to identify, locate and schedule structured learning experiences and other activities that will help satisfy your CE obligations. Attending a BOC-Approved CE Course offers you the convenience of direct reporting of your CEUs by the course provider. You have the option of earning CEUs from other resources as well.
Alternative CE Opportunities
You are welcome to submit documentation toward earning CEUs for courses that have not been pre-approved by BOC. To apply, complete and submit the Course Submission Form with information from the course provider, including: the date of the course, proof of attendance, proof of completion, and the number of CEUs for which you are applying (as detailed on the form).
You also may earn CEUs for attending relevant professional events, such as trade shows or industry conferences. By documenting visits to exhibitors, you may earn up to one CEU per every four exhibitors you visit. To apply, complete and submit the Exhibit Hall Attendance Form.